Thursday, April 22, 2010

Always Practice Safe Cake-making. Use a Condiment.

I've never honestly cared much for ketchup. Sure, I'll put it on fries if I find myself lacking reserves of vinegar, blue cheese dressing, ranch dressing, and sweet-and-sour sauce. I'll even use on nuggets or fried fish on occasion. In any event, no matter how much I dislike ketchup, I can at least claim to use it mainly in normal ketchup venues. However, not many people know that ketchup also makes an excellent cake. I don't mean ketchup alone, of course- I'm not even certain how that would qualify as a baked good. "Ketchup cake", as it's fondly and oh-so-creatively referred to, has a sort of cinnamon and molasses flavor, and is beautifully paired with cream cheese frosting. Essentially, if you don't tell people what is in it, they'll never guess- sort of like pool water! I'd have to hope, though, that any cake I make is more pleasant to swallow than pool water. You can also add ketchup or pureed tomatoes to a chocolate cake to produce a creamier, moister texture and a more pungent flavor. Anyway, I plan to spend the upcoming weekend convincing my friends that "ketchup cake" is not as disgusting as it sounds. I'd like to rename it for greater mass appeal, but nothing comes immediately to mind except "Heinz and seek" cake, which might honestly be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment